19 August 2017

"Clearly, you have never met a woman." Sergeant Laureline, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Halloooooooooo!


There was a lot to do around the release of this film. People were hyped. Expectation were high. The bar was set and was excited myself. Thank god I read some reviews prior to going to the cinema or I would have been majorly disappointed. It's not the worst film out there, but there are definitely better films to see.

** spoilers **
2017
Director: Luc Besson
Cast: Dane DeHaan, Cara Delevigne, Clive Owen, Rihanna,...
Length: 2h 17min
Genre: Sci-Fi
Rating: 6/10

Having not read the comic books, my enthousiasm was based on the fact that Weta Digital was involved with bringing this fictional world to life. I had no clue as to what the story would be about, apart from the info gained from the trailers. Major Valerian and his partner, Sergeant Laureline, have 24h to stop a threat. This it. Didn't have any more knowledge than that.


I was pleasantly surprised by Cara Delevigne acting abilities. Not on the levels of Ewan McGregor or Emma Thompson, but she showed a believable Laureline. Major Valerian, on the other hand, was a little dick headed asshole. Never been a major fan of Dane DeHaan as I feel he can only play one type of role: the one with the husky voice and monotone dialogue. Granted, I haven't seen that many films featuring him, but it's for this particular reason I don't watch film starring him. The fact that he plays an arrogant Major who tries to woo Laureline by saying he is the best thing she's going to get, does not help his case. As I couldn't really feel for the two main characters right from the start, the movie was never going to make above a 7 out of 10 rating for me.


To continue with the characters, Major Valerian goes through a character change and by the end of the film he manages to win Laureline's heart. Now, know that the entire film is based within a 24h time span. How realistic is it and how much character development can you put a character through? I know, I know, the entire film is a Sci-Fi, so nothing is realistic in the first place. But when it comes to characters, it is important they rely on humane traits, as that is what we relate to as human beings.

Visually the movie did not disappoint. I get why people were saying some parts looked a bit rubbery, but the overall CGI was mind blowing. Shout out to Weta Digital. Honestly, the Mül-converter is beyond cute! I want one! I can imagine this one would be quite spectacular to see in 3D.


As for the story, some bits could have been shortened in. Others could have been a bit more explained. This film did not have to last 2h and 17minutes, that's for sure. But in general, not bad.

Script was good, but not impressive at some points. The explanation of love during the finale was a bit 'really?' for me. And some reactions were just a bit too generic. But it certainly had its witty and funny moments which lifted the lesser dialogue.

Unfortunately I did not walk out of the cinema with a good feeling, so I probably will not see this film again. 1. Because it is so long (and it's not a Peter Jackson film) and 2. I just really can't stand Major Valerian.


Have you seen a film starring Cara Delevigne?

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...