7 February 2015

Kingsman: the Secret Service, Big Hero 6 and Harry Potter Book Night

Halloooooo!!

As I am writing this blog post, I am sitting on my old bed back home in Belgium. That's right, I am home for the weekend :) But what happened during this very 'exciting' week?

Saw again a bunch of movies, got my internet connection back, saw the Kingsman shop and attended a Harry Potter Book Night.

Kingsman: the Secret Service. After almost a year's wait
Saturday was a happy day. Not that I planned it much in advance :) Friday 29th January the movie Kingsman: the Secret Service hit theatres. As it's almost been a year since I saw the trailer for the first time, I could not not see it :)

I had to go to Croydon anyway 'cause I had to stop by the bank. Yes, I had to do some grown up stuff. That's what comes with the whole I-'ve-got-a-job thing. By 1pm my errand to the bank was done, so I went straight to Vue Croydon. Unfortunately the next performance was at 3pm. 2 hours to kill. And what better way to kill some time than to go to HMV? Yes, very very very dangerous for me. As expected I walked out with another DVD to complete my still growing collection. I've been looking for Stuck in Love for quite a while now, so I was over the moon when I finally found it ^^ Next stop was Primark where I found this awesome Monday appropriate t-shirt x)


Finally, 3pm arrived and I was more than ready to finally witness this piece of awesomeness. Because I am used to go to the theatre on a Sunday morning, I had to adjust a bit. The theatre was more packed (opening weekend as well) and not only with elderly people or children, but also with everything in between. I was unfortunate to be seated before 2 very loud men. I mean, I get it. I make noises as well whilst watching a movie. You sometimes can't help it. And when it is funny, I'll laugh out loud. But to laugh so loud that it blanks out the next sentence the actor says, in a cinema? That might be a bit too loud... + all the crackling noises of all the doritos and crisp bags= annoying. But luckily Colin Firth, Taron Egerton, Samuel L. Jackson and the rest of the cast made sure that I didn't mind the majority of the time :) And yes I am a huge Colin Firth fan. But being a fan of an actor doesn't automatically mean you have a crush. Just to be clear, mum.

As for my opinion of the movie, it met my expectations. I'd heard a few comments already from my colleagues who went to a screening in November, so I knew that the church scene was a bit "oooeeeeh". Some might even consider "too much" and the ending a bit "meh, too not realistic". But I was careful to not let anyone spoil it for me :) I laughed out loud, as it is genuinely funny (and yes, I finally finally finally understood some of the English jokes! As a foreigner it's not easy to get the punch line of a joke). I had to look away and surpress an 'ieeeeuwww' sound as some parts were a bit grubby. And my jaw dropped once, big time. I couldn't even believe it happened! If you want to know what I'm talking about, you'll have to see it ;) But I highly recommend it! Tine, Sam, mum and dad, especially to you :)


To make things even more awesome, I realised on Tuesday evening that I pass Saville Row almost every day when I walk to the train station after work. (Saville Row is famous as the road to be if you're looking for a bespoke suit). So, why not take a look? I walked up Saville Row, remembering a few shots from the movie, walking up the road and suddenly finding myself in front of the very store that was used as Kingsman shop in the movie. What a way to end a Tuesday :)


Thanks to my amazing job, on Friday I had to make a goodie bag with Kingsman premiums for Colin Firth and Taron Egerton :) If you see them with a Kingsman branded t-shirt, bag, umbrella or other items, these are most likely designed and made by us and pick out by me out of the cupboard! x)

Unplanned movie and Westfield Stratford shopping
Sunday was a bit of a last minute decision. Last Sunday I'd originally planned to see Big Hero 6, but I couldn't be bother to get out of my bed in time so I skipped it. I wasn't that keen on seeing the movie anyway eventhough few of my friends said "It's AMAZING" and one of my colleagues at work shares the same opinion. When someone says a movie's AMAZING I'm less likely to see it, because I'd get my hopes up and then I'm scared to be disappointed. But then when I see it and really like it, I turn around and go tell other people to see it because it's AMAZING. I'm doing exactly what I don't like other people doing. Hmm, something to work on :D And in the case of Big Hero 6, it's set in San Fransokyo and I'm not really set on the Asian culture anyway. Not that I dislike it, but I'm just not that facinate with it. But this Sunday, I was up for it. Some might call me crazy or super motivated, but I kind of like to go to the cinema on Sunday morning. I get the feeling I have a super productive day and the only people that go to the cinema that early are the ones with little children :)

So, Sunday morning 8:45 I was out of the house. The first performance of Big Hero 6 started at 10am and I wanted to grab some breakfast at Costa in Croydon.

Unlike Saturday afternoon, the theatre was pretty much empty, expect for the families :) One little guy ran to his dad to sit on his lap saying "it is getting a bit scary". Although I can't deny that the 'villain' of the story does look a bit scary, I can imagine what it must look like for a 6year old :)

It's a very sweet story and Baymax (the giant squishy marshmellow guy) is just too cute. You really want him as your best buddy. And the movie made me wonder how it would be like to be a genius. To be able to invent awesome stuff, simply because you have the knowledge of the science. Aah well, is not going to happen any time soon.


For anyone who's interested, Big Hero 6 is created by the same creators that made Frozen :)

After the movie I had time to process it on my way into town, 'cause I agreed to meet up with Camilla, a girl from the Design team. A Sunday afternoon shopping at Westfield Stratford shopping centre. It was a nice change for the weekend :)

Harry Potter Book Night
I'd been looking forward to Thursday 5th February for about a bit over 2 weeks and this week it was finally there. The Harry Potter Book Night is an initiative of Bloomsbury, the company that publishes the Harry Potter series. The original goal of the event was to introduce a new generation to Harry Potter and celebrate the wonderful wizarding world that Joanna Rowling has created. The target group were schools, families and community groups. But a few staff members at Waterstones Oxford Street Plaza were like: "hey, we wanna go too, but not to hang out with 10yr olds. Let organize an 18+ event and just celebrate the fact that most of us grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione." An amazing idea that attracted more than 100 HP fans :) So Thursday evening 5th February, Harry Potter and Joanna Rowling were celebrated all over the UK.

Super nervous and on the edge of an anxiety attack, I went to the store at 7:15pm on Thursday evening. I even concidered not going at all, as I genuinly hate that feeling you get when you're about the meet with someone or have to go somewhere that is unfamiliar. It was like I completely forgot how to talk to people, how to introduce myself. Didn't feel anything at all like someone in her early twenties, but more like an 11 year old who's new in the group. Thankfully I wasn't the only one who came by themselves and soon enough I was sorted into a house (Slytherin, hell yeah) and in a group (C) and started chatting to a few girls.

By 8pm it was introduction time and one of the Waterstones staff members read a page out of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. The part where Harry is at Olivander's to buy his wand. Being all adults in one room, it is safe to say there where quite a few laughs. Something you definitely wouldn't get at a kids event, if you know what I mean x) Once the activities were explained, the game began :)

By 9:30pm the event came to an end and the winners were announced. Slytherin won!!! x)

Here are a few pictures of the evening. I didn't take any myself since I was too busy being social x) These picture are taken by the staff members of the Waterstones Oxford Street Plaza. Thanks to their efford and motivation this amazing evening was possible.




Amazing decorations




Amazing details

Thanks to these gusy this amazing evening was possible :) Thanks!

This is what Joanna had to say about all the positive messages of the HP Book Night :)


And to think it all started when my mum read the Philosopher's Stone 13 years ago, trying to explain how one gets on platform 9 3/4, me, totally not interested. But on the 1th January 2002 we went to the cinema to see the first movie and later that month I picked up the Philospher's Stone myself and that's how it all began. So thanks mum, for introducing me to Harry Potter :)

For some reason I kept this 13yr old movie ticket x)


Movies watched this week
If you're looking for some movie inspiration, these movies I watched and liked this week: Chalet Girl, Monsters University, Big Hero 6, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, Kingsman: the Secret Service and In Time.

That's it for this week :) My apologies for the long blog post. Congrats if you made it this far!

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...