25 February 2015

the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film goes to...

#movietime

Halloooo !!

As promised a little mid week blog post :)

As we all know Sunday 22nd February was the most anticipated night of the year. Well, in the movie industry. Or to be even more specific: in Hollywood.

Because I do not live on that side of the pont and my internet wasn't able to live stream the event (like I live in Narnia or something -.-) I didn't bother trying to stay awake, because what's the point to stay awake to read who won and who didn't if you can't follow the event live?

So sure enough, Monday morning the news papers, radio shows, social media,.. were overflowing with 'last night's' news. You'll know what I'm talking about.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, I was pretty exicted to see who won, because there were some pretty great nominees. Jennifer Aniston, Julianne Moore, Steve Carell, Eddie Redmayne, etc. Some promising movies: Big Hero 6, Interstellar, Boyhood, soundtrack for Begin Again, etc.

Now I would be lying if I said that every single one of them deserved the Oscar they were nominated for. They probably do, but I wouldn't know, because I haven't seen all of the movies (yet). So it would be unfair of me to have an opinion on them.

Now, the one category I was most interested in was the Best Animated Feature Film. I admit, I've only seen 2 out of the 5 movies. And I am sure the other 3 are as splendid as the other 2, but I really really really wanted either Big Hero 6 or How to train your dragon 2 to win. And to my delight, Big Hero 6 had the honor to take the little golden statue back home. Although HTTYD2 would have deserved it just as much.

For those who are not familiar with Big Hero 6, allow me to enlighten you :)

Big Hero 6

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245084/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm

2014
Directors: Don Hall, Chris Williams
Actors: Ryan Potter, Scott Adsit, Jamie Chung, etc.
Length: 102min= 1h 42min
Family proof
Genre: animation, adventure


The story is set in San Fransokyo, a fictitious city that resembles a great deal of San Francisco and Tokyo together. Now, if I may be honest, I am not really interested in the Asian culture. I'm not saying I dislike it, or hate it or anything. It's just not a culture I'm fascinated with. So that fact was actually something that kind of withheld me from seeing the movie.

How come that I eventually saw it anyway? Well, it was kind of a spur of the moment decision. And friends of mine and a colleague were super enthusiastic about it and I do trust their opinion :)

Hiro's (main character) big brother invents an inflatable robot that has a great resemblance to a giant marshmallow. Baymax, the robot in questions, his purpose is to help humans diagnose their injury and provide a remedy. That's the main reason why you'll fall in love with Baymax ^^ During the course of the movie a beautiful friendship develops between Hiro and Baymax. It'll even tear you up.

The plot is, like basically every Disney movie, to overcome the bad guy (or queen). So together with 4 other friends, Hiro and Baymax go to battle and try to save San Fransokyo. Now, the biggest difference with all the other Disney films is the fact that the characters don't burst out into songs about their thoughts and emotions. You might compare it to Toy Story or Monsters and Co, but those are from Disney Pixar. Like Frozen and Wreck-it Ralph, Big Hero 6 is just a Disney product (it's from the same brain that's behind Frozen and Wreck-it Ralph. If you didn't know already, now you do ;)). I haven't seen Wreck-it Ralph yet so I wouldn't know if the character sing in the movie, but we all know that Frozen is full of (sing along) songs. So that's what makes Big Hero 6 so special in my opinion. Some say it's even better than Frozen. And Frozen is already pretty up there, so that's saying alot :)

As every other Disney movie, this movie also shows us the terrible thing of losing loved ones and how to get back on your feet. Oh, and you'll notice that all the kids in the movie are geniuses :)

Of course the soundtrack is splendid. That combined with the amazing animation and storyline, you're basically guaranteed you're not going to keep it dry. But not to worry, it's not Lion King sad. I'm definitely 100% sure going to get this one on DVD!

So, that was my mid week blog post :) Hope you enjoyed it and your excited to see Big Hero 6 yourself (if you haven't already) If not, here are some videos to get you in the mood :)

Trailer

And a clip :)


Please let me know if you saw the movie and if you share my enthousiasme! Or not. That's up to you :)

Thanks for reading anyway!
xo - Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...