16 May 2016

"Can you please move your seat forward?" - Bucky Barnes 'Winter Soldier', Captain America: Civil War 'review'

Halloooooo!

Yes, of course I went to see Captain America; Civil War. I don't think a lot of people really like Cap, or any of this films, but I do :) I like all Avengers, but I have my favourites ^^ Like any previous Marvel film, this one did not disappoint. At all.

For anyone who hasn't seen the movie, beware, there will be spoilers in this 'review'.

Captain America: Civil War

** spoilers **
2016
Director: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Cast: Chris Evan, Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johanson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Jeremy Renner, Paul Rudd, Chadwick Boseman, Elizabeth Olsen, Emil VanCamp, Paul Bettany,...
Lenght: 2h 27min
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Marvel
9/10

As an after math of what happened in Sokovia at the end of Age of Ultron, UN wants to limit the Avenger's movements. Tony Stark, or Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr) is in favour of this, Steve Rogers, or Captain America (Chris Evans) is against. You'd expect it to be the other way round, right? Cap's old friend, Bucky Barnes, a.k.a Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan), is suspected of a bom attack in Vienna when the accords to rail in the Avengers was supposed to be voted for. Cap tries to help his old friend, but the Winter Soldier's past causes another rift between Cap and Tony.

In comparison to other Marvel films this movie leans more towards "Age of Ultron serious" than light hearted humor like in Thor or Avengers Assemble. The funny scenes that are in it, are proper funny though. Laugh out loud funny. I was lucky enough to watch the movie with a crowd who reacted the same way I did. At one point, in the least romantic setting possible, Cap kisses Agent 13. It's so Cap. Awkward but sweet, and long overdue. Not to mention that Bucky and Sam (Falcon - Anthony Mackie) are sitting in a tiny Beetle, witnessing the whole thing. After Agent 13 leaves and Cap looks over, you get your expected boys reaction when they see one of their mates hitting it off with the girl he likes. It is so innocent and refreshing in the serious subject of the movie. Should the government control every single thing?

Cap goes on a rather personal journey as well. In the First Avenger he tried to put his new powers to good use in trying to help to defeat Germany in WWII. In Winter Soldier, he's struggling to find his purpose in this new world. No world war to 'hide' behind. Cap's been 'accused' of not being able to function without war and conflict. It made it sound very negative. But when you look at our world today and when you look at the history of mankind, there is blood spilled everywhere. I wish it were different, but there no way around it: humanity can't seem to exist without conflict. Without fighting. Without war. And then you need men like Cap. He always tries to disconnect anything personal from his causes: save as many people as possible. In Civil War however, we're talking about his old time friend Bucky, who was brainwashed into Winter Soldier. Sebastian Stan had an amazing story line as he, as Bucky, remembers details from his time before he was a Soldier. It gets very very personal for Cap.

After Age of Ultron I'm really hoping for a Black Widow stand alone movie. Now after Captain America: Civil War I'm really really hoping for a stand alone movie on Winter Soldier. I know they are talking already for a Black Panther stand alone and an Ant-Man sequel, but what about Black Widow and Winter Soldier? Or Agent 13 for that matter. She is really growing on me.

I was kind of scared that it would feel a lot more like another Avengers movie as so many Avengers characters are making an appearance in this one, but it wasn't too bad. The story is told mainly from Cap's point of view and it's clear that it's his movie. But you don't see Tony as a complete villain either. You get why he does what he does. The writters did an amazing job there. You can't really disagree with anyone. Everyone makes a good point and some actions, like Tony trying to murder Bucky because he, as Winter Soldier murdered his parents, are in some way justifiable. Cap, however, comes to Bucky's defense and fights Iron Man. Hard. I understand Cap's point of view, but also Tony's. Who's right and who's wrong? It's not a black-and-white situation. But if there is to be another Cap movie, I wouldn't mind if only Falcon, Agent 13 and Bucky show up.

That said, I'm impressed with the screen time each character got, without loosing the fact it's actually Cap's movie. Spidey had a nice introduction and more screen time than I expected. I really liked the Amazing Spiderman movies and I was sad that Andrew Garfield was shoved aside. But now that I've seen Tom Holland's interpretation of the character, I'm curious about the stand alone movie. And hello Martin Freeman. No idea who his character is, besides the fact he's Agent 13's boss at the C.I.A. Or something. He might be a villain. He might be a good guy. But I'm sure we'll see more of him in the MCU ;)

As always, acting was on point, as is the script. This is apparently the longest Marvel film to date. Yes, even longer than Age of Ultron. A full 6 minutes longer. But let me tell you, those two hours and a half flew by. Not a minute where I thought to look on my watch to see how much time we still had to go, not a minute when I was bored. 2h27min that feel like 45min...

I was quite happy with the ending in the sense that it didn't really concludes anything, as per usual. The final final battle scene between Bucky, Cap and Iron Man was very intense. At one point I wouldn't have put it past the writers to kill off Winter Soldier. So I was preparing myself for tears... It wasn't necessary, but they finished with more questions. It leaves room for interpretation and of course, a next movie. I advise you to stay put until after the end credits. You've got one immediately after the credits and then one after the end credits. It's worth the wait ;)

Then, as per usual, the trailer, some interviews, clips, behind the scenes and what not :)

Trailer


Interviews


Clips




As for the question: team Cap or team Iron Man? I'm team everybody, but if I really have to choose: team Cap. More and more I've come to realise you can't just trust the government to have your best interest at heart. Think for yourself.


Who else is hoping for a stand alone Winter Soldier movie? Or Black Widow? Or any other suggestion?

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...