20 April 2014

Cutty sark and Jane Austen

Halloooo!!!!

Yet another week had gone by. Man it goes fast! Next week on the 22th I'll be living in London for exactly a month! Time flies when you are having fun, they say... It is true, they say.

So, what have I been up to this week? Not too much to be honest. On Saturday Molly and I went to Greenwich (again), but this time to visit the Cutty Sark. Sunday was Camden Town Time and on Monday we both had to work again... It was a short week though, because Good Friday is a bank holiday here in the UK. And Easter Monday as wel, so that is what you call a loooong weekend. Lovely. So these are the 3 topics I will cover for this week blog. And I might add an extra one at the end of it.

But first, as it is becoming a standard thing at the begin of my blogs... This weeks video. Hope you like it! 



Cutty Sark and Greenwich university
So on Saturday we went back to Greenwich to see the Cutty Sark. The Cutty Sark was the fastest clipper that transported tea from the East to London in the 19th century. It was a big deal as you can imagine. This guy is single-handed responsible for the tea culture in England! Ok, maybe not single-handed, but still, I like to thing this is were it all started with the English-nice-cup-of-tea-mentality.
 
That is one big wheel

Since we just went there in the afternoon, we didn't do that much els. We went back to the Greenwich University on my request. Because I saw Thor: The Dark World two weeks ago and I was so blown away by the fact that the final battle takes place at the Greenwich University that I just wanted to go back and see the campus. For some unexplicable reason, it looked completely different. The mind does crazy things when it realises that Chris Hemsworth has walked the same ground... 

Dad, this one is for you
The original bell of the Cutty Sark


Molly's event in Camden Town
Molly helped organising an event for her internship. Lucky for us, the event took place in Camden, so we took the opportunity to make a day out of it. And boy it was a lovely day! Blue sky, sun was out,... But that also means a lot of people. Like, the streets were packed with tourists. Ugh. And yes, I am annoyed by tourists, because I no longer see myself as one... :) But never the less, Molly hadn't seen everything of the actual Camden Market near the Stables, so that was a nice opportunity and excuse for me to visit it again.



Camden Towwnnnn and a blue sky!! In London!?
We saw a lot of awesome stuff, but the only downside is the fact that the sellers can be very very very very pushy... Not exactly what I appreciate when I am doing some shopping... Ah well, that's part of the 'charm' I suppose? We are going to go back with a list of things we want to buy x)


A very crowded market
Lies, this one is for you ^^ I dragged Molly all over the market just to find this booth, because I really really really wanted to eat a pancake. The pancake was delicious, but boy it was hell to eat it. And I know I am not that elegant by nature, but eating that pancake knocked out every inch of femininity I had in me. It wasn't a pretty sight... Chocolate all over my face, on my scarf, in my hair and on the floor... But it was worth it ^^ And it will not stop me to eat another pancake!

Yummy pancakes!

By late afternoon, Molly had to go to work. Yes yes, on a sunday. For the event she helped to organise. She invited me to stay and watch, so that's what I did. By 7p.m. I went home so that I could hit the sheets early and prepare myself for a Monday at the office...

Molly at work... Growing up so fast... I'm so proud

Bank holiday and Jane Austen
Friday 18th April is a bank holiday here in the U.K. which means: a day off!!! What was supposed to be YAY was actually just a yay. In my blog last week I mentioned that I had received bad news from home. I couldn't go home, because I was 'stuck' here in the U.K. So instead of being home, I got up really early and went to Leicester square. And I am glad I made that decision. It was so quiet and peaceful. With my Starbucks coffee I sat for two hours on a bench, watching how the square got filled with tourists when the morning progressed into noon. I had my time to think and reflect. I know it isn't nearly as close as being home, but it was the closed I could get.

By 11.30.m. Molly found me still on the bench on Leicester square. We had a lovely chat, but then it was too chilly to sit outsite and we were starving. So, we went to Planet Hollywood for a super duper nice burger. It was de-lish. Even when I think about it now, I am craving a burger. Really good. And we had so much fun guessing the old school pictures of the Hollywood celebrity.

In the afternoon we wanted to do something quiet so we went to the National Gallery. Obviously we couldn't film in there or take any pictures. The security guards where very very clear about that... But we saw some masters like Rembrandt, Rubens, Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Seurat, etc. We were very pleased about ourselves... x) I actually liked this one: the allegory of prudence by Titian. Of course there where other beautiful paintings, but this one stayed with me.

Link: http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/titian-and-workshop-an-allegory-of-prudence
 I took Molly also to the National Portrait Gallery next door, to show here the drawing of Jane Austen. That iny tiny drawing her sister made of her so many years ago is one of the few images of Jane Austen. Can you imagen? Nowadays, pictures and videos all over the place.

Extras: short update on my host family and skype with the parents
I am all settled in. I love my tiny room, I like the food, I don't forget I have to wash my hands when I come in and I like talking to my host mum and her daughters. I am a happy girl here :)

I also did a lot of skyping this week. Twice with a friend back home, once with another friend. And the mum and the dad of course. We had a lovely chat and a good laugh for an hour and a half. It is just amazing that skype excists. And I got to see my grandma, which was very lovely :)



Home sickness: I am not really home sick, but I am starting to miss the hugs from my dad and the laughs my parents and I sometimes had at the dinner table. Or dinner with someone in general. I always eat alone. Not that that is a bad, but company once in a while would be nice.
London city: it feels like I have lived here my whole life. Maybe not my whole life, but you know what I mean.
New people: This week actually: none. Well, I have seen a lot of new faces, but I haven't been introduced to someone new.
New word: stamina= endurance

Ooh, an extra extra. If you haven't seen this link yet, do it now!! It is the thoughest job in the world... You'll be amazed. Here is the link: Thoughest job in the world

Sooooo, that's it for this week folks. If you liked it, make sure you stop by next week for another update! Ciaoooo!

xo - Sara


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...