15 March 2015

Conversation with Emma Watson about gender equality and Insurgent premiere

Halloooooooo,

In contrast of last week's blog post about my 'very exciting' weekend, this week's blog post has actually some pretty cool stuff :) Let's just dive in, shall we?

Converse art installation on Shoreditch High Street
Saturday 7th March I had another viewing planned. In Willesden Green. North London. And yes I live in South London. As London underground always likes to execute some improvements on the public transport lines, this weekend was no exception. Normally this doesn't bother me too much, but this it had to be, had to be, the Jubilee line between London Waterloo and Neasden. Let's just say that Willesden green is between those two stations. And so my adventure to North London began.

Because I had to take a replacement bus to Willesden Green station, I was going to be late at my appointment. Thank god Steve, the guy who was going to show me the house, was very understanding and he hoped that it wasn't too much of a mission to get there. 'Mission' was the perfect description of my journey from South to North.

Anyway, after a lovely chat with Steve I was back on my way to central London. Because it was 'only' 2.30pm and so beautiful outside, I decided to head to Shoreditch High Street (Liverpool street station, East London) to see a Converse inspired art installation. The shoe in questions is my go to shoe for basically everything and yes, I own quite a few pairs of them :)





I know, very alternative of me to go to a little art exhibition in Shoreditch, East London. And to be honest, I kind of felt very smart, as that excursion isn't part of my usual activities. I never go to alternative little art galleries, or near Shoreditch for that matter :)



After that little art cultural exploration, I just headed back home and guess what? I watched a movie! I know, just like the exhibition, so uncharacteristic for me! I keep surprising the world... Or maybe not x) Anyway, Saturday evening I saw 'Now you see me'. Again a recommendation of my cousin, Lies, and it's a good'un. A very 'Whut the hell' ending, but that's the brilliance of it. You can compare it a bit with the Illusionist and the Prestige.


International Women's day and a Conversation with Emma Watson.
Sunday I woke like a little kid on Chirstmas morning. Very very exicted. Friday evening I received the email that I was selected to be part of the audience for the live conversation with Emma Watson on gender equality.

How come I was selected, you might ask? Well, Tuesday evening 3th March I filled in the 'application' form. Not really an application though. You had to tell how you are making a difference in your community to work towards gender equality and if you could ask Emma one question, what would you ask? I filled everything in, but without any hope. I mean, surely thousands of people would send in their stories.

However, Wednesday afternoon I had an email in my inbox with the news I was short listed to be part of the audience. Out of more than 6000 entries! They asked me to confirm a few facts (gender, where I'm currently living and if I would be able to travel on my own expenses to London) and within the hour I'd sent a reply and now all I could do was wait for Friday afternoon when they would send everyone who was selected to be part of the audience an email.

Friday afternoon arrived and nothing. I'm not going to deny I wasn't a little bit disappointed, but aaah well. It's not the end of the world, right? However, when I got home, had eaten my dinner, watched Divergent, I checked any emails. And OMG. HELL YEAH, I was selected! Within 20min I had confirmed I'd be there and for the next hour I was dancing and jumping and squealing of happiness. I just couldn't believe it. I freaking made it out of the more than 6000 entries! So my excitement was real on Sunday morning.



But as every exciting event ever in the history of the world likes to taunt us, the event took place in the early evening, and we could only check in at 4pm. That meant an ENTIRE day of looking forward to it.

Luckily I had another viewing planned at 1pm in East India. I believe it was the billionth zillionth room I've seen so far. The room and appartement were a disaster, so that was kind of a bummer. But not for long, because I was to go to the Facebook office to attent a live conversation with Emma Watson :)

To kill some time between the viewing and the event, I wanted to try out a new cafe. Instead of giving in to my usual Costa habit, I wanted to try Yumchaa. The cafe on itself is very cosy and cute, but unfortunately the place was under staffed so the service was far from good. Kind of put me off of the idea of going back, but maybe it'll be better on a less busy day or if they have more staff? Anyway I had a lovely read in my book The Cuckoo's Calling and also in a new magazine that I've discovered recently: Sci Fi now. Normally I am not a fan of magazines, but this one's genuinely interesting :)

And then, at least, it was 4pm. Time to go to the Facebook office. It wasn't allowed to take pictures during the live broadcast, but here's the entire broadcast :)


It was so interesting and instructive. Many of my questions were answered and well, the topic is just very interesting, isn't? It affects us all. And to hear and actually see Emma talk about it in person, makes it even more obvious she is really passionate about it. I'm gonna sound like such a fangirl, but she truly is such an inspiration.

Insurgent World Premier
Tuesday and Thursday evening I had some viewings planned. That's 9 in total now -.- And still nothing.

Wednesday evening was the Insurgent World premiere. And just like during other premieres, I can't help myself to overhear people's conversations. You can easily pick out anyone who is just stopping to have a look what all the fuzz is about. Most of the time I can restrain myself in answering their questions, but when I heard someone ask; "Is that Kate Winslet?" I just had to reply "That's the author". It might be just me, but is baffles me that someone can't recognize even Kate Winslet.






I'm already planning my trip to the theater to see this one opening weekend ^^ 

Movies
So this week I've seen Now you see me, but also the Descendants and If I stay. Really liked the latter one.

New words: snazzy= to be well dressed; redundant= no longer necessary

So, that is it for this exciting week :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...