14 June 2015

Travel diary Scotland day 2, 2015: road trip on the wrong side of the road!

Hallooooo!

Day two of my 'roadtrip' through Scotland^^ And it's been a loooong day.

I woke up nice and early to collect my rental car ^^ FYI, I had the worst night sleep as I got to experience the not so wonderful concept of single glassed windows... Anyway, after a full breakfast, a short walk to the Europcar office, a few issues with the ensurance and the car keys later, I finally was able to pick up my companion for the next 6 days. Everybody, meet Clio.


And yes, I sit on the 'wrong' side of the car and I drive on the 'wrong' side of the road. But honestly, after the first hour, it felt as if I've always driven on the 'that' side of the road. I had no Amanda moment x)



So today was probably the longest day as I drove alway to Eilean Donan castle in Dornie. That's about 4hour drive from Edinburgh. But if you've ever been to Scotland you'll know that after every turn you'll find such a breath taking view that you just have to pull over and take some pictures...  It took me about 6hours to get from Edinburgh to Dornie. And of course, I took the necessary stops for coffee, stretching and toilet breaks.




By 3pm I arrived in Dornie and I was in complete awe of the castle. That and the viaduct in Glenfinnan are the main reasons why I am on this trip, actually. So after I found a parking spot, with a view, I might add, I made my way over to the tourist centre.


If you ever go to Dornie to see the castle, I wouldn't advice to pay to visit the castle. It's not that I consider that money thrown away as I almost spend two hours inside the castle, but it's not really interesting aside from the stunning views.







I've taken about 1000 pictures of this castle so you can imagine how it was like, going through them and selecting only the best.

Around 5pm I made my way to Glenfinnan where I'm currenlty staying. The hotel is ridiculous. Well, it's not really ridiculous, but it is, for my standards. I'm used to hostels and earplugs when I'm paying for a trip. Now I'm paying for a trip and I'm definitely paying. But I have an en suit bathroom with the most amazing bathtub ever, so I say it's money well spent. I'm looking forward to going to sleep without earplugs!

After dinner I wanted to go for a walk. The sun came through for the first time today and I couldn't miss that chance to take even more pictures! So a staff member kindly explained how I could get to the viaduct, which is only a 10min walk. I had originally planned to go see that viaduct tomorrow, but now it gives me a bit more time to explore the area tomorrow.




Just to warn you now, you'll be seeing a lot more of the viaduct tomorrow ^^

That's it for today! Safe to say I am exhausted, so night night!

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...