21 June 2015

Travel diary Scotland day 9, 2015: Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer

Hallooooo!

This blog post shall be short. - ish. I've had a very unexciting day, but I do want to talk a little bit about what I 'learned' about this trip. I found the below picture on WeHeartIt and I think it is sooo true.

http://weheartit.com/entry/181856511/via/saradevocht?page=2
Picture first hearted by Danee


But first, my day. So, I got up this morning around 7.45am, took a shower, had a full Scottish breakfast, packed my bag and by 10.15am I was on my way to Waverly train station to leave my bag at the left luggage. My train left at 2.30pm, but I wanted to be back at the train station at 2 so that I had plenty of time to collect my bag and head to the train so that I could avoid a situation like last Friday.

So once my bag was dropped off, I walked back to the Royal Mile to see if I could do some shopping. Compared to Thursday evening, when I had to find my way via a map and getting lost all the time, today I used shortcuts to get from point A to B. Small city, Edinburgh : ) As I didn't really need anything, I ended up back at the Elephant House were I wrote yesterday's blog post.




Around 1.30pm I started packing everything so I arrived at the train station in plenty of time. Got on the train very easily and without stress. My bag was the first in the luggage storage, so everything was very relaxed. Even on the whole journey, a whopping 4hours and 32min, nobody sat next to me. So I had the plug and the chair next to me all to myself. I saw the beginning of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and then Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but half way through that movie I fell asleep x) No suprise there.


The rest of the journey went very smoothly as well. I'm home now, I've unpacked and ready for bed. All very unexciting.

Now, what did I learn from my first ever holiday by myself? I mean, sure, I did some weekends before, to Bath and the Lake District for example. But going on a trip, road trip no less, for an entire week? That's a whole different story.

I organised everything myself. Researching what I wanted to see, where I was going to stay, booking the hostel/hotels/lodges/guesthouses, booking transport, etc. But that was the easy part. The challenge is the trip itself. You're traveling by yourself, so you do need to find a way to entertain yourself. For me, this trip, it was mainly car karaoke. Very loudly and very off key x) I've had some challenges like driving on the left hand side of the road and sitting in the right hand side of the car or talking to strangers because if I had a question, I had nobody else to ask. But those were no new or big challenges. The small talk on the other hand was a bigger challenge. I got to work on that, but I still have a very very long way to go. And beside challenges and entertainment, I also had plenty of time to, yes, think. Especially about my future, near and far, but I still don't have any answers so that's kind of a bummer. And I learned that my mind can wander off to the most strangest places, like 'If I'd die, say tomorrow, which song would I like they'll play on my funeral?' Very dramatic. I was never bored and I dearly wish this trip could have lasted longer. As in, forever. I still have so much to learn, to experience, to grow. That was something that hit me right in the face. In some areas I thought I kind of had an idea of what I was doing, turns out, I have absolutely no clue... x) So I might have come out of that holiday with more questions than answers, but I am an experience richer and I most definitely will do it again!

That's it for the daily blogging. Next week back to the normal 'schedule' with one blog post every weekend and depending if I have content or time, a blog post on Monday and/or Wednesday.

I hope you enjoyed reading my travel diary and I hope it may inspire you to do the same thing. If not online then off line :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...