28 June 2016

Travel diary Scotland day 11, 2016: "How tiny the Glens make one feel..." - Lady Edith Crawley, Downton Abbey: A journey to the Highlands

 **Disclaimer: I write and upload the same day, often after a long and exhausting day. I often don't have the focus to re read and take out the typos, grammatical and vocabulary errors. Beware!**

Hallooooo!!

Well this was an exciting day! I wanted to visit Inveraray Castle last year, but unfortunately it didn't work out with my schedule. However, this year I made sure I made the time to stop by.


Inverarary Castle was used as DunEagle in the Christmas special for Downton Abbey: A journey to the highlands. Does the below look familiar?



Lady Edith Crawley: How tiny the Glens make one feel...
Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham: [swatting flies] That is the thing about nature, there's so *much* of it.

The castle itself isn't that big. Well, the part you can actually visit isn't. Half of the castle is still actively being used by the current Duke of Argyll and his family. How crazy is that? "Yeah, I live at Inveraray Castle". Imagine that being your address? "You'll see it when you get there" x)

It took me about an hour to visit the entire part that is open to visitors. After that I walked around the grounds for a bit and took about a million photos.


Not only the exterior scenes were shot here, but also some of the interior scenes. If you look at the dinning scene where the bagpiper announces dinner, you'll recognise the golden statues of ships ;)



Because the castle wasn't as big a I thought and it was the only thing I had planned for the day, I ended up with a lot of time on my hands. So, what's better than to do some shopping? Last year I deeply regretted not buying a 100% woollen jumper, which I can tick off now ;) I've also bought some Christmas presents. It is nearly July, it is time to start thinking about Christmas!

I had (late) lunch at the castle café and decided to drive back to Crainlarich via Oban. Just to get in some more of the beautiful West coast scenery.



Because I didn't have any internet access, I had time to actually watch a movie rather than writing blog posts. What better movie to watch on your trip through the highlands than the Disney Pixar movie Brave? Absolutely love that film ^^


And that is it for Monday. Very Downton Abbey filled day. Nice change from Outlander ;)

As always, thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...