18 June 2016

Travel diary Scotland day 1, 2016: Edinburgh, home sweet home

 **Disclaimer: I write and upload the same day, often after a long and exhausting day. I often don't have the focus to re read and take out the typos, grammatical and vocabulary errors. Beware!**

Hallooooo!

And so it begins, daily blogging my way through Scotland ^^ For the next 14days I will driving through the Highlands, making various stops at Stirling, Falkland, Stonehaven, Aberfeldy, Grantown on Spey, Culloden, Inverness, Glen Coe, Loch Lomond, Alloway and Edinburgh again. And I'm going to blog every.single.day.* Let's do this!

*As I'll be blogging every day, I won't always be able to reread all of my blog post for typos and spelling mistakes due to tiredness. Of course I'll try, but just to give you a heads up ;)

Too early or too late?
The first post isn't too spectacluar I'm afraid. Lets start with a bang, hein?;) I've been traveling from London to Edinburgh and that consisted of a 4h30min train journey... But, I'm going to say it as it was anyway.

Today started off pretty mellow. I woke up at 8, got ready, finished packing, had a little catch up chat with my landlord and by 11am I was out the door on my way to London King's Pancras to catch my 1pm train. Unlike last year, when I had to run to catch my train, I arrived at the station a good hour too early. This gave me enough time to buy lunch and some snacks and a coffee and actually finish that coffee before I had to go on the train. Then, on the train I had enough time to put my giant North Face bag in the storage space, preparing myself without rushing for the 4hour and a half train journey North. It was bliss.


I saw the movie the Illusionist again with Jessica Biel, Edward Norton, Rufus Sewell and Paul Giamatti and I wrote a couple of emails. Very productive journey.

Somewhere along the way we were delayed, so instead of arriving in Edinburgh at 5.30pm it was something like 5.50pm. No biggy, I'm on freaking holiday. I've got all the time of the world.

'Mixed' dormitory @ Cowgate Hostel
Because I've visited Edinburgh last year, I kind of have a baring of my surroundings. That made it possible for me to book a bed in a hostel a little further away from the train station. I'm currently sitting in a 4-bed dormitory. It's supposed to be mixed, but my three room mates are men. Ah well. On top of that, across the street is party going and apparently the same is happening in the hall just outside my door. Probably not going to get much sleep tonight. But, it is a cheap way of traveling and it is only for 1 night, so I'm not too bothered by it (yet). Plus I have my laptop and access to a plug and free wifi so I'm good ;)

Home sweet home
When I arrived in Edinburgh on Friday 12 June 2015 it was love at first sight. When my train arrived at Edinburgh Waverley station today and I saw the Balmore hotel, I couldn't believe I was back! It just feels so right. After I checked in at my hostel, I wandered back to the Royal Mile and had a little brows through the little stalls. I was planning to buy another ring at the end of my trip, but since I was there, why not buy a souvenir at the beginning of a trip rather than at the end? Had a very touristy dinner at a Pizza Express, got myself a camomile tea at Starbucks (can't believe I forgot my tea at home!) and sat on a bench, people watching. Great first day of my 15day adventure.





I'm a bit scared though
I'm going to be completely honest here, but I am a bit scared. 15days is a long time. I had the same 'fear' last year about my 9 day trip, which turned out fine so this year I doubled it. But yeah, it'll be interesting.

I'm going to finish here. I'd like to say that I'm going to sleep, but I doubt that that will be possible whilst that party is going on in the hall and across the street and one of the men in my dormitory is snoring so loud I think I might be cutting through a forest. Maybe I should join the party-goers?x)

Anyway, this is where I'll leave you.
See you tomorrow!

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...