19 June 2016

Travel diary Scotland day 2, 2016: "On your feet soldier. Take me back to Lallybroch" - Claire, Outlander S1E11

 **Disclaimer: I write and upload the same day, often after a long and exhausting day. I often don't have the focus to re read and take out the typos, grammatical and vocabulary errors. Beware!**

Halloooo!!!

What a day, what a day, what.a.day! Little sleep, busy schedule and back on the road. Let's get cracking.

Car rental pick up @ Europcar
This should have been an easy thing, but it wasn't. It took me a good 20min to check in and receive my car keys. Reason being: if you are younger than 26 you can't have the premium protection package. You can only have the medium protection package, which means that if you have damaged the car for £250 or less, it is coming out of your pocket. On top of that, if you are younger than 25 you have to pay an additional fee because you are a 'young driver'. It doesn't bloody make sense. I've been driving for longer than 6 years now and you're telling me that someone who's 25 and has his/hers driver's licence for a month can rent a car without an additional fee and premium protection package? I can see a few things that are wrong with that theory. Anyway, after a painful check in, I finally got in my car (a red Vauxhall Corsa, pictures will follow) and I was on the road! It felt surprisingly natural to get back behind the wheel on the right hand side of the car^^

'Take me back to Lallybroch"
First stop of the day was Lallybroch! Well, Midhope Castle near South Queensferry, which features as Lallybroch in the tv series Outlander.


You can't actually enter the building as it is pretty much neglected and looks dangerous to enter. It's amazing how they changed it for the show. In reality, there is no front door, the windows are plain and dirty, etc. But when you have a look at the tv show, the house looks lively and warm... TV magic :)



As an exception to the rule, I couln't resist taking a picture... I'm not the selfie type of person, but sometimes I just like to have a picture of myself in a place that I think is beyond awesome, so here I am, focus on the background and 1/4 of my face not in frame. You see I'm skilled at taking selfies (*ahum*)



Mary, queen of Scots birth place
Next stop was Linlithgow Palace. Mary, queen of Scots was born in this palace in 1542. Nearly all her relatives with the name James have done some amendments on the palace, but she, obviously didn't. This is also a film location in Outlander when Jamie is in prison, but that was not the main reason why I came to this place. (I only just found out it was also used in Outlander)

Thanks to the TV series Reign, I became fascinated with Mary, queen of Scots. I'm still not sure if she was a cold hearted ruler or a queen with the biggest heart. After doing some research I found out where she was born and where she used to stay. I'll be visiting a couple more place where she stayed. In the below picture, on the second floor in a room in the corner of the palace, she was born. It once was also the bedroom of Queen Margaret, Henry's VIII sister... Interesting...



The palace itself wasn't too big. In about 45min I had seen everything. It is literally a ruin, but a fascinating ruin. You can wander around, get lost in the maze of little corridors, etc. The second kitchen, which was in the basement, freaked the hell out of me though. Brrrr.

On the below image you can see two fire places. On on the same level as the floor, another 1 level up. The level I'm standing on used to be the quarters of King James IV. Above his were the quarters of queen Margaret. Who would have thought these two fire places would ever made it onto one picture? x)





Black kirk - Outlander
Last stop of the day was West Kirk in Dunfermline. It was the setting for Black Kirk in Outlander season 1 episode 3.


ALSO on my way to West Kirk...
I SAW THE KELPIES!!! And they where majestic and beautiful and powerful and everything I'd imagined and I might have squealed rather loud when I passed. I might have.

Unfortunately I was driving and they caught me complety by surprise as I had not idea they were located near Falkirk, so I don't have a picture... But here's one from the interwebs, just so you know what I'm talking about. Kelpies are mythical waterhorses with super strength, by the way.

Image source: wikipedia


After West Kirk I made my way to Stirling, where I'll be staying for 2 nights. So that is what I'll be doing tomorrow. Wandering around Stirling ^^

This is where I'll leave you.
Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...