25 June 2016

Travel diary Scotland day 9, 2016: Nope, I didn't travel through time...

 **Disclaimer: I write and upload the same day, often after a long and exhausting day. I often don't have the focus to re read and take out the typos, grammatical and vocabulary errors. Beware!**

Hallooooo!!

As I stayed in a hotel without internet access, I had to put the daily upload of posts on hold. But here is the catch up for the past 3 days ;)

Saturday morning had another incredibly slow start. Not because I “went” out on Friday evening, but because there was a tv in the breakfast room. The day after it was announced that UK is leaving EU. It is very unusual for me, but I do try to catch as much news as possible.

Anyway, by 9.30am I was ready to check out at the guest house I was staying at in Inverness. However, as I was checking out and arranged payment with Neil, his wife came out. Apparently she used to live in Belgium and so we started talking and talking and talking. Eventhough I was on schedule with packing and checking out, I had severe delays in actually leaving the building. The conversation was so good! And I learned so much! Did you that princess Diana is a direct descendant from Mary, queen of Scots? That makes prince William and prince Harry more royalty to some Scots then Lizzy or Charles. How crazy is that? They also told a spine chilling story about the ghost of the Old Pretender, King James VII of Scotland. Trully fascinating. Lately I’ve heard more and more first hand stories of people who have seen ghosts. Or the like. Brrrr.


Of course we started talking about Outlander as well and they informed me of a few filming locations nearby. Unfortunately I had to make choices as I had quite a long drive South... I couldn't visit everything. So, I decided to visit the Clava Cairns near Culloden. Unlike what I first understood of the explanantion, I thought this was place where they filmed. At first I was surprised, 'cause I had done some research prior to my trip and I had learned that the standing stones of Craigh Na Dun where completely fictional and the 'stones' where actually set pieces placed on a small hill. But, when I arrived at Clava Cairns, I soon reaslised something. In the book, Diana Gabaldon describes the standing stone through which Claire travels through time as a 'split rock'. Isn't this exactly what I found?

Even more, after doing some research on the interwebs, look at what else I found!!


Not 100% if these are the exact stones that inspired Craigh Na Dun, but she sure took a picture with them! x)

After the Clava Cairns it was time to make my way South. Along Loch Ness I found a cute little cafe so I had a cream tea for lunch ;)






After that is was all the way to Crainlarich where I would stay 3nights (without internet). I had planned my journey so that I would pass through Fort William and Glen Coe. I had passed through Fort William last year was well, when I was on my way to Glenfinnan to see the viaduct. But Glen Coe was a completely new part of Scotland for me and oh my, so beautiful! 



And whilst I was driving through Glen Coe, I passed over a bridge. A bridge that looked very very very familiar... Yup, I had just passed ANOTHER film location. This time one from Made of Honor ^^


As I was driving in a line of cars myself, I didn't stop to take a picture, but just enjoyed the amazing feeling of recognition x)

Around 6pm I arrived at Suie Lodge Hotel and came to the conclusion that internet wasn't an option... I just watched some telly and went to bed.

That is it for Saturday!

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...