13 April 2015

Tamara Drewe


Hallooooooo!!

Another Movietime Monday :) My apologies that I've missed last weeks Monday blog post, but with the Easter break, my schedule was a bit messed up.

But, here is today's blog post :)

I thought about writing a blog post about Home, since that is the most recent movie I've seen, but then I realised that I was not too impressed with that movie and I would like to only write about movies that I would recommend :)

So, what movie is next on my list? Hell yeah, Tamara Drewe.

Tamara Drewe

2010
DirectorStephen Frears
Actors: Luke Evans, Gemma Arterton, Dominic Cooper, Tamsin Greig, etc.
Length: 107min= 1h 47min
Genre: Comedy, drama

The story is set in Ewedown, a ficticious village in Dorset. In such small villages everyone knows each other and gossip is never too far away. Tamara Drewe grew up in Ewedown, but escaped to London and became a columnist with a life changing nose job. When she has to return to her home town to sell her late mothers house, her world and the world of all the villagers are turned upside down. Nicholas Hardiment, serial cheater on his loyal wife Beth, is interested in the new and improved Tamara, and Andy, Tamara's ex-boyfriend, has to admit that his feelings for her are still there. But it's drummer boy Ben Sergeant who wins over Tamara's heart, or does he?

This is a proper comedy with a romantic touch. It's not Hollywood-ish nor European, but very very British with an all British top cast (except for the one American character of course). British humor, which I finally start to understand (most of the time anyway) and a portrait of an idyllic life in an idyllic village in the English countryside. Although nothing glamorous about cows... The location of Ewedown is basically where I want to end up living. Green, nice and quiet.

The ending of the movie is exactly as you think it is going to be, but in the course of the movie a couple of things happen that actually caught me by surprise! The incident with the cows is one example.

The story is based on a graphic novel by Posy Simmonds, so it is not a super hero comic book for a change! It's a comic book with a very mundane story. I haven't read the graphic novel, but apparently it is a modern rework of Thomas Hardy's 'Far From the Maddening Crowd', which I haven't read either. But I do know the story, kind of, and I can see some similarities. One girl, three gentlemen. One gentleman is just in it for the thrill of the 'hunt'n'catch', the forbidden love (Nicholas Hardiment vs. Sergeant Troy), the one that would be the best catch (Ben Sergeant vs. William Boldwood) and the one with all the good intentions (Andy Cobb vs. Gabriel Oak). But I can be wrong, of course. Anyway, through out the movie you have nods to Far From the Maddening Crowd and Thomas Hardy :) Besides the 3 love interests of Tamara, you also have the story line with Beth and writer's retreat guest Glen McCreavy and the two village girls, Jody and Casey, who cause some of  the main absurd mayhem.

It's a movie that never gets boring and makes me laugh every single time. Again and again. You've got all these different characters who react to the same situation in there own way which makes the movie so reliable.

Take it from me, this is a movie you want to watch when you're in for a full on British film with fascinating storylines that is not too heavy. The cast is just divine :)

Trailer

Clip

I hope you'll enjoy the movie as much as I do if you decide to watch it yourself :) And please let me know if you do ^^

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...