23 February 2016

"I shall never relinquish my sword for a ring." - Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (movie 'review')

Hallooooo!!

As you might know, or not know, I am a huge Pride and Prejudice fan. I'd say Jane Austen, but P&P is actually the only book I've ever read written by her. The rest I've only seen in movie/mini series adaptations... Anyway, huge Pride and Prejudice fan. I mean, Lizzy is amazing. Head strong, witty, confident, out spoken,... She wouldn't even consider marrying a man just for financial comfort. Had she lived in the 1930's she mostlikely would have been a suffragette. If she'd lived today, she would undoubtably have signed the HeForShe campaign and have proudly said she is a feminist. That is, if she was a real of course. Unfortunately, she still is, to this day, a creation of a remarkable writer who lived in the Regency Era: Jane Austen.

The book has been made into countless adaptations, most famously are the BBC mini series from 1995 starring none other than Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. The last film adaptation was in 2005 with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen. The story has inspired numourous other stories. Think about Bridget Jones, Lost in Austen, Bride and Prejudice, Me & Mr Darcy, Mr Darcy's Diary, The Jane Austen book club (ish), Death comes to Pemberly,... and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies of course.

Seth Grahame-Smith wrote P+P+Z back in 2009 and yes, I read the book :) Although I didn't always agreed with the violence, I really enjoyed reading the book. It just works. It was obvious to me that Grahame-Smith never intended to improve Jane Austen's master piece. He never wanted to make fun of it or ridicule it. He respected the story in all its glory and simply added the undead to it. He made it work. It's a truth universally acknowledged... - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (book 'review')

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

** SPOILERS AHEAD**
2016
Director: Burr Steers
Cast: Lily James, Sam Riley, Matt Smith, Douglas Booth, Jack Huston, Charles Dance, Lena Headey, Sally Phillips,Bella Heathcote, Suki Waterhouse,...
Lenght: 1h 47min
Genre: Romance, horror, action
8/10

The story is set in Regency England. For the last 70 years or so the country has been infected by the undead as a result of the plague. If you could not fight and defend yourself, you were doomed to join the unmentionables. That is why mr Bennet has taken his girls to China to have them trained in combat. In result, the 5 sisters Bennet are locally famous, not only for their beauty, but for their deadly warrior skills as well. On a random day at the beginning of autumn, mrs Bennet walks into the living room and says: 'mr Bennet, have you heard!? Netherfield Park is let at last!'

Oooh, that glorious beginning. (Although they did alter the phrase: "Netherfield Park is let at last" a bit.) It is just the promise of an amazing story.

For anyone of you who's not familiar with the story, a little recap: Elizabeth Bennet is the second of 5 daughters. Their mother's sole purpose in life is to see them marry well and settle in life. Something Lizzy does not agree with. A neighbouring estate is let to a mr Bingley. He is accompanied by his two sisters and his dearest friend mr Darcy. Upon meeting the Bennet family, mr Darcy makes a proud impression and Lizzy is determined to loath him for all eternity. Or has she?

The major difference perhaps is the fact that the girls are not knitting or embroiding cushions, they are cleaning their swords and guns. Weirdly enough, it feels organic. As if Jane Austen has always written it like that. Unlike the original story, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies provides many laugh/giggle moments. Just like I hoped it would do. They've approached the story just like they would have if they were filming P&P straight. They take themselves serious and that is what makes it work. I'm so happy it didn't look like a parody. The characters, especially the Bennet sisters, are super strong. Whilst Lizzy was already an opinionated young woman, it's been magnified 10times. I mean, the women save the mens asses! But rather portraying them as stronger the men, they are considered to be equals. A good match for each other. As it should be.

You can definitely feel the modern touch within this film. First of all, Lizzy wears trousers at one point in the movie. Secondly, the script has been updated. The classic lines are still there (phieuw), but also a lot of new words. Lizzy calls Darcy a 'prick'. Insufferable, yes. Prick, no. And as I've mentioned earlier, the iconic phrase: "Netherfield Park is let at last" has been amended as well, which I think is a shame. Ah well. Final tiny little bit that disappointed me a bit: we don't get to see the infamous Darcy-Lizzy dance at the Netherfield ball. Why!? Fingers crossed for a DVD extra ;)

Story wise *SPOILER* they do deviate from the "original" Grahame-Smith story which is very very close to the original one. I'm not going to go into details, but at one point in the movie I had a clear: "What the fuck? This is not what's supposed to happen?!"-moment. The big story line is still very much the same, but the script writters took some liberties on this one. Events were left out or moved to a different time in the movie. Lines were switch from left to right. Scenes were added. Once I got over that though, I trully enjoyed it. It was actually quite nice to be surprised :)

I'd like to take my hat off for the casting director on this film. Not only is it packed with big names such as Charles Dance and Lena Headey, but the total pictures just fits. I've read that Lily Collins was offered the roll of Lizzy or that Nathalie Portman was originally going to play her. No doubt that both ladies would have done a tremendous job, but I just can't picture anyone else besides Lily James playing this roll next to Sam Riley, Matt Smith, Bella Heathcote,... My opinion about Lily might not be as objective as it should be as I simply love her. She can hardly do anything wrong in my eyes. She fights in a freaking corset! Lena Headey as Lady Catherine de Bourgh is not your first actress that comes to mind thinking about the roll, but hey, it works. Mr Darcy, aaah mr Darcy *swoon*. My first reaction to Sam Riley being cast as the most eligable bachelor in P&P was: eeeuh... okey. I know the man can't help it, but his voice doesn't really work in his favor. But as mr Darcy... Aaaaah.... *swoon*. Which makes me think: is mr Darcy the one character who makes everyone look good? Matt Smith as parson Collins is gold and has the best one liners: "Gallantry is not dead", "Another scone, dear?", "This is an antique." You can tell he's having a blast. Mrs Bennet in my head is a very loud person, which Sally Phillips' interpretation is not. She does however portrayes her slightly 'filfthy'. Quite funny to watch x) Douglas Booth's Bingley and Bella Heathcote's Jane are a match made in heaven :) As for the younger sisters, Bingley's two sisters and even Denny, they hardly have any lines, which I think is a great shame. I'm actually confused to why they've casted Denny at all. Ah well.

I am absolutely not a zombie fan what so ever. You'll never see me watch the Walking Dead or anything else that had characters in it that eats brains. Yuk. Unless it is very clearly a comedy, like the World's End. And I'm not going to deny it, the beheadings are very gory and at times I did close my eyes. I just don't have the stomach for it. But, the fact that the movie is telling one of my favorite stories made it all less worse. I wouldn't mind watching it again and the DVD will definitely be added to my collection. If I can make it through a zombie apocalypse movie and actually love it, anyone can.

As per usual, the trailer, some clips and a few interviews for your enjoyment ;)

Trailer



Clips




Interviews





That is if for my 'review' on P+P+Z :)

Has anyone else seen it? I need to talk about it! x)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...