21 February 2017

Travel diary February London day 7, 2017: Well, that was a delay of about 4hours...

Hallooooo!!

My final day, well, half day, in London :( Sad sad sad day.

Got up bright and early. Got ready and was downstairs for breakfast by 8am. Check out was before 11am, so I still had plenty of time when I got back up stairs to pack my bag. But I wanted to spend as much time as possible in the city before I had to leave, so by 9.15am I was out the hotel door :)

I did another Jane Austen walking tour, or a part of it anyway. This time the tour started at Marble Arch and would end on Piccadilly near Green Park underground station. A nice tour :)

William Pitt, youngest Prime Minister at age 23 :)

I had anticipated the tour would take about 2hours, but as a fast walker it took me just about an hour... So what to do? A hot chocolate at Café Nero. That is what to do :) I went all the way to Regent street for that, so I could sit outside and look at the busses, taxis and pedestrians. And of course, read in my book Austenland :) It was a very quiet and uneventful day, but I loved it. I love that city. It's home.


At 1pm it was time to return to the hotel to collect my bag and head to St Pancras. Bought a quick lunch before checking in at 2pm as the Eurostar would leave at 3. Lunch was good and train left the station on time. Hurray, by 7pm I'd be home, have dinner, unpack, take a bath, watch a movie and just get ready at the 6am start tomorrow morning. How blis it will be...

Well, Eurostar had something else in mind. A few miles from Lille the Eurostar train decided to die. No electricity, no aircon, no lights,... At first I thought I would be just a small hick up and that we'd be on our way within 30minutes. Well, think again Sara, 3hours we were still standing still. Ugh. Eventually we were toad to Lille Europe station where we had to change Eurostar trains. Rather than leave immediately, the replacement train couldn't leave until they were sure that the broken down train could close. Another 30min stand still. But once we were on our way, we were in Brussels in 30mintues. Phieuw. But by the time I actually got home, it was well past 10pm... My night turned out rather differently than what I had in mind.

So that was the tiny dumper on an amazing trip. But I'm already looking at the earliest dates when I can go back :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...