18 February 2017

Travel diary February London day 4, 2017: We've visited the house Queen Victoria grew up in. Well, the palace...

**I write and upload on the same day. Often I'm too tired to read for spelling mistakes or missing words/letters**

Halloooooo!!

It was such a fun day!!

After Tate Modern yesterday, I jumped right back to thing I actually enjoy: to visit palaces (or old manor houses, etc) Today, Kensington Palace was on the program.


But before we made our way there, we (my friend and I) had breakfast at home. We then took the bus to Oxford Circus as my friend had an appointment at her bank, so I 'dropped' her off and went on to Oxford street wandering around some shops. We met up around 12pm again, had lunch at Paul's and then made our way to Queensway underground station to walk to Kensington Palace from there.

The main reason why I wanted to visit Kensington Palace is because it is the home a young Victoria grew up before she became queen and the first monarch to reach the milestone of 60 years rule. Since watching the film the Young Victoria and the itv series Victoria, I just had to visit it.


It was kind of weird because I've passed the palace multiple times, but never realising how important this building actually is. Princess Diana used to live there, Kate and William have moved or will move there,... It is still an actual working palace, like Buckingham and Windsor. Of course, as a non royal, a mere mortal, you can only visit certain state rooms, but it is nevertheless cool to walk those halls and rooms :)


We did about 2 to 3 hours to walk around all the rooms there are open for visitors, saving the best for last: Victoria reveals. We got see original dresses of the Queen, a replica of Albert's wedding suit, portrait of Victoria which was very risqué at the time, a doll house of Victoria before she became Queen, etc. It was genuinely amazing. My friend and I are both interested in actually understanding who is who in the Royal family tree so that kind of took us some time, walking back and forth between rooms and google to understand the relationship between all the monarchs mentioned in the state rooms.


First painting of Victoria as Queen

After we had seen everything that was to be seen, we stopped by the gift shop and honestly, there was alot that I wanted to buy. In specific a planner. But, I'm going to wait until Monday or Tuesday and see if I still would like to buy it and then go for it :) Ya need to be sure!

We then walked around the gardens a bit, went to see the Golden Gate and sat on a bench, discussing whether spiders are animals or not and the fact that Jane Austen didn't live when Victoria became queen. The weather was sooo nice.


After our stroll around we returned to my friend's apartment to make dinner and just chill. We saw an episode of the Crown and then Hot Fuzz. Little fun fact: when I was on an exchange with Uppingham Community College about 8 or 9 years ago, I saw Hot Fuzz, but not everything of it. I also forgot the title of the film but never forgot what happened in that film. Quite often I would think about it again, wondering what movie it was. As the film started, a bell started to ring in the back of my head. And then I saw the scenes that I remembered. It was so weird x) Really happy I saw the ending of it. Hot Fuzz is a comedy, black, but comedy nonetheless. However, the bit that I've seen 8 years ago wasn't really funny, but more gory and scary. Now that I know the end, it makes it all less scary and actually funny x')

When the movie ended, it was time for bed. So here I am, writing, whilst also actually watching Safe Haven, just because it is on the telly and enjoying the night view:


I can't wait to be able to save to book my next trip to this city where I feel like I'm home and of course to other places in the world :)

This is it for my fourth day in London :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...