29 June 2016

Travel diary Scotland day 12, 2016: Found and walked the Brig o' Doon

 **Disclaimer: I write and upload the same day, often after a long and exhausting day. I often don't have the focus to re read and take out the typos, grammatical and vocabulary errors. Beware!**

Halloooo!!!

Just quickly, in case you've missed the previous 3 posts:

Travel diary Scotland day 11, 2016: "How tiny the Glens make one feel..." - Lady Edith Crawley, Downton Abbey: A journey to the Highlands
Travel diary Scotland day 10, 2016: I had my freaking burger in Aberfeldy!!!
Travel diary Scotland day 9, 2016: Nope, I didn't travel through time...

It seems to be a re occuring theme: every time I'd like to check out, I end up having a 30minute or longer conversation. This time it was about Brexit and about the fact that Germany would have the same outcome if they were to held a leaving referendum. It's frightening. Anyway, lets not talk politics but history ;)

Today I drove to Dumbarton Castle near Glasgow. It is quite isolated and isn't nearly as touristy as say Stirling Castle or Doune Castle. The reason why I wanted to visit this castle is because, yes, 3 guesses, it has something to do with Mary, Queen of Scots. At the age of 6 in 1568 she was taken to France to live at French court as her life was in danger as long as she'd stayed in Scotland. She wouldn't return until 1560 (ish), but she does revisit this castle in 1563. So yeah, Mary has walked these grounds. Pretty cool hein?




Tree planted by HM the Queen. Lizzy ;)



Again, the castle wasn't big, so in less than an hour I had seen everything and I was standing outside again.

Rather than have a proper sit down lunch I bought something at a local M&S store and ate in my car. Whilst I was finished my salade, it suddenly hit me. My trip is coming to an end and I don't want it to. I don't want to go back to the office on Monday. But do I ever? (no) Nearly wanted to cry.

But, no time to have a proper breakdown as my next stop was awaiting in Alloway. The Doon-series by Lorie Langdon and Carey Corp are the soul reason why I wanted to go to Alloway and see the actual Brig o' Doon. So yeah, I had to take some pictures ;)



As Alloway was also the birth place of Robert Burns, I've visited the museum (part of the National Trust) and the cottage where he was actually born. I knew that he wrote Auld Lang Syne, which features in numerous movies, but he also wrote A red red Rose, which is featured in Made of Honor! And I thought I wasn't going to cover that film during my trip this year x)





Who would have thought; hein? A piece of Robert Burns in Sex and the City? x)

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be discovering Alloway for a bit. Should be interesting!

Thanks for reading (as per usual ;))
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...