7 August 2015

Mission impossible or possible: finding a quiet, tourist free spot in London.

Halloooooo!!

So, the weekend was supposed to be really exciting. Friday after work I went for a drink with my colleagues, I had planned to see the movie Minions, go to Crystal Palace park, etc. But it all kind of fell through... But I did get a lot of reading done ^^


Pondering away in Italian Gardens
Saturday morning I woke up, had breakfast and made my way to cinema Vue Croydon. I didn't check the timetables as I assumed that the same timetables of last weekend would apply this weekend. Well was I wrong. I had to wait 50 bloody minutes -.- After wandering in and out a few shops to kill some time, I gave up and just sat on a bench. Yep, I was in a bad mood... The weekend did not start well. On top of that, Minions was a disappointment (you can read that in KING BOB! - Bob, Minions). As you can imagine, Saturday was definitely not the highlight of my weekend.

In the afternoon I wanted to go to Italian Gardens as I really like that particular part in Hyde Park and it reminded me of the Sunday after my trip to Scotland when I met Sasha from A Book Utopia. But it was easier said than done. It was 1st of August, mid summer break= a lot of tourists -.- I had to take the bus from London Victoria to Marble Arch if I wanted to avoid the crowd. From there it's only a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Italian Gardens. Hurray for the fact that my usual spot was unoccupied! I had planned to have at least 2 hours of reading done, but instead I just sat there, pondering away. I couldn't concentrate on a single word. Seriously, sometimes I wish I could escape my own mind.

But I did have an amazing view. One would really think one is in Italy ^^





A quiet tourist free spot in London
Sunday started off really chillaxed so it wasn't until early afternoon that I left the house. My plan was to go to Crystal Palace park. One of my colleagues recommended it so why not? :) I even brought my Canon camera! That's how prepared I was. But, again, I didn't check the timetables. You'd think I'd learned my lesson with that incident yesterday, right? Well, think again x) No trains from London Victoria to Crystal Palace on Sundays... I could have taken a train form Norbury to Tulse Hill and from there a bus, but I was lazy and didn't want to make a lot of effort... So I was 'stranded' in London Victoria and I didn't want to go back to the house yet.

With all the tourists around I wanted to find a quiet spot in London where I could read. Mission impossible, right? Hurray for my growing knowledge of this city and soon a plan formed in my head: go to St Dunstan in the East church. District or Circle line to Monument and voila, you're there. I tried to avoid Victoria line at all costs. Before heading to Monument I hopped off the underground at Westminster because it was traffic free and I wanted to see what that was like... I would not recommend it. Waaaay too many tourists -.- But I got a beautiful picture though. I must have at least a billion pictures of House of Parlament and the Elizabeth Tower now x) Also, note the Shard on the background!




Eventually I made it to Monument and St Dunstan where I happily read my way through' the Falconer' by Elizabeth May. It's not like I was the only one sitting a bench in the church, but it was considerably less crowded and loud than the rest of town.





But, as the church is surrounded by tall buildings, the sun soon disappeared and I got cold. Remembering from my last trip to the Tower of London (New City Kings, Rounders and St Dunstan in the East Church), you can sit on the steps and sun is guaranteed to shine longer. So that is exactly what I did ;)

Whilst being in the neighbourhood it's only right to snap another pic of the Tower Bridge





By the time 6.30pm came around it was time for me to go to the house. And that was my Sunday, and therefore weekend, over. Very exciting, right? Not to worry, next week I'll be in Croatia (hell yeah!) and I'm thinking about daily blogging again. Can't make it a promise though as I have no idea what the internet will be like and I'm not travelling by myself... So it'll more likely be blogging-whenever-internet-allows-it x) Looking forward to that trip though!

As for the rest of the week, it was pretty interesting. Tuesday evening I had a bite of dinner with a colleague and one of her friends and Wednesday evening I had a viewing in Hither Green. It brought back so many nice memories from the time I lived in Lee last year. Although I think Sadness touched a couple of those happy memories. (If you've seen the movie Inside Out, you'll know what I'm talking about ;))

Voila, that's it for this week's blog post!

As always, thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

Oh, yeah, please follow me on Bloglovin' if you don't already ^^ That'd make me really happy ^^

https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/sara-lives-in-london-12178603

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...