31 January 2016

Places to visit just about an hour outside London. Wait, whut!? Only 1hour outside London?

Hallooooooo!!

As promised in last week's blog post, no Star Wars in this one. Although I've been listening to the score written by none other than John Williams on my commute to work, but that's about it.

Work was crazy busy, so I just wanted to get home as soon as possible and get to bed immediately... As you can tell, nothing exciting happend during the week. So lets rewind to the beginning of the blogging week: Saturday 23rd January.

Saturday, my friend and I, ventured out of London. To the South coast of England. To a small town called Rye to be precise. (I keep saying: 'Rey'. A tiny bit of Star Wars keeps sneaking in x)). So Saturday morning at 8am we met up in St Pancras to take the train to Ashford intl and from there a train to Brighton, via Rye.


Before my friend made the suggestion to go there on a casual day during the weekend, I had never heard of it before. Apparently it used to be quite a busy town with the earliest dates I could find in 11th Century. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong! It was originally build as defence against the French (quite the irony as my friend is from Paris) and it had a little harbor that was part of a collaboration between other harbors called 'cinque port'. When you google 'Rye' a whole lot more history will show up, but I'm going to leave it here with the information and just let you enjoy the images below.

It's an iny tiny town with the cutest cobly streets and little houses. The view from the cliff is also absolutely stunning. One of the random things that caught my eye is that almost all the houses had single glassed window. You can't have it all I guess?

So my friend and I arrived at Rye station around 9.30am, had a little wander around town because we wanted to go to the information centre, which didn't open until 10am... We had some delicious breakfast at the Mermaid cafe and had another little wander around town. Around noon we took the bus to Camber Sands. You can't go to the seaside without actually seeing the sea. Apparently this is one of the few beaches in Britain that has sand instead of pebbles.

We walked all the way back to Rye, which is about 6km!





After that very misty walk (I had to take off my glasses in order to see something. Reverse world?) we found a little cafe in town centre and had a delicious crêpe and drank a very nice hot chocolate. It all worked out perfectly.



On the train back to London we both fell asleep ^^ But thank god is was Sunday the day after so no alarm clock, no obligations, just full 'recovery' of the previous day :) That was a very good weekend :) We'll definitely do it again but with a different location within 1hour from London!

That is it for this week's blog post. Hope you liked it :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...