15 December 2016

Blogmas day 15, 2016: 'Real to Reel: A Century of War movies' at the Imperial War museum

Hallooooo!

Like most of my previous days, today started off pretty slow. Waking up, breakfast, spending a 1000hours watching videos on YouTube... But eventually I made it out of the house and on to a bus!


Real to Reel
Back in October, when my parents came to visit me, we went to the Imperial War museum. It is free, like the majority of the musea in London. But, as per usual, there is also a temporarily exhibition for which you have to pay. Imperial War museum is no different.


In this case it is the 'Real to Real: A Century of War movies'. And me, being a film enthousiast, wanted to see it. But time was against us, back in October. So I had to go back another time. Today was that day.


Although War movies aren't my favourite genre of movie, I do see them and I do appreciate them. I think it is important not to get too cought up in an alternate universe where everyone gets a happy ending and where war or other violent issues are no issue at all... And when I say 'I think it is important', I mean it is important for me.

So many movies are very much over the top, others have a love story as a red line through out and others are just plain brutal but closest to reality. If you even can translate the horrors of war to the silver screen...

The exhibition covered the importance of war movies, how they came to be (it all began with the Batte of the Somme, World War I), what they tell us, what they mean, how we can interpret them, etc. The question was asked if they are propaganda, how they can portray the 'enemy' in a certain way, is it because of the director, writers, politics, etc. How Disney got involved during WWII,... It was a really interesting exhibition. Sunday 8th January 2017 is the last days, so you can still go ;)

They cover all type of movies: from old to the most recent, from a most realistic approach to a more seduced approach, love stories involved, etc... Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Eye from the Sky, Lawrence of Arabia, War Horse, Battle of the Somme, Hitler: the last 10 days, Atonment,... Just to name a few.

They show a diary written by Alec Guinness during the filming of Hitler: the Last 10 days and how it affected him. The costumes that Liam Neeson wore in Schindler's List and James McAvoy in Atonment are displayed, film fragments are shown, photographs, story bords, etc. If you're a film geek like me, you'll spent a long time in there. I think it took me about 2hours, if not a bit more...

I eventually found my way out and made my way home. In the evening I had my combat saber class (my last one :( ). And that is it for blogmas day 15! :)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...