12 December 2016

Blogmas day 12, 2016: There and back again to Winchester

Hallooooo!!

As you might recall, on my trip through England I had a brief stop in Winchester to visit Jane Austen's grave. It was soon very clear to me that just visiting the cathedral wouldn't be enough so I decided then and there that I was to return in the next week or two.


And today, on Monday 12th December I made it! I'd got up quite early to catch a train to Winchester between 8am and 9am. Of course, I didn't have the time to eat breakfast before I left, so I made sure I had something to eat on the train. It was about an hour ride, so not too bad, but still needed some entertainment.


It was very cloudy when I left London and by the time I had arrived in town it was drizzling which didn't stop for the entire day. 

My main focus was to spend a bit of time in the cathedral. Film the bits I wasn't able to film when I was on my 7day route trip. I also wanted to do a Jane Austen tour especially desigend for rainy weather and then take in some Tudor history, because guess what? The Tudors where here...

The Jane Austen in the rain tour soon turned out to be a fail. Across the city there were supposed to be quote hidden that would have been became visible when it rained. As the quotes were on the pavement, it meant that if the quote was situated on a location with high footfall the quote would be gone really quickly. I've mananged to find one, but just. It was clear that the activity was on its last legs... But I did see the house where Jane eventually died. One of the first colleges in England founded by a certain gentleman by the name Wyckham, was next door, so I saw that as well. So I did see a bit more from Winchester :)
 

As I've said earlier, I had spent some more time inside the cathedral. My entrance ticket is valid for 12 months, so hey, why not use it hein? :)


After the cathedral I wandered around for a bit and I found the Round Table of King Arthur. Pretty cool as well :)

Got some lunch at a tiny café off the main shopping street. By the time it was dark, I did a little bit of shopping. A bit of Christmas shopping and a little bit for myself :)

Jane Austen's house

Here just a few pictures of Winchester by night, eventhough it wasn't that late.




Between 5 and 6 I had the train back to London Waterloo so by 7.30pm I was home :) It was such a good day! Rainy and cold but so good. Perfect last Monday in the UK ;)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...