5 December 2016

Travel diary England day 6 + Blogmas day 4, 2016: Now that is a marriage proposal...

**diclamer: I upload at the end of every day of what I did that day and in a lot of cases, when I've finished a post, I'm too tired to re read it, so be prepared for typos, grammatical and vocabulary errors**

"Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgement, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony." - Mr Darcy, Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Halloooooo!

Main event of today: Stourhead. Main event and only thing I did. Walking, visiting, living happily in my own little world, my little bubble of imagination.


First proposal
Stourhead is owned by the National Trust. It also had two film locations of the 2005 Pride and Prejudice film by Joe Wright, starring Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFayden and Jena Malone to name a few.

After Lizzy discovers that Mr Darcy is the reason why her most beloved sister Jane isn't engaged to his best friend, she goes for a walk, which ends in a run as it starts pouring with rain. The bridge that you can see in the film is a bridge you can find in the gardens of Stourhead house.


Once she had found cover, mr Darcy finds her and confesses his feelings to her. Not the smoothest guy in town, he blurres out a proposal which offended Lizzy in every way. Not unreasonably she says, and I quote :"From the first moment I met you, your arrogance and conceit, your selfish disdain to others, made me realize that you are the last man in the world that I could ever be prevailed upon to marry." Ouch.

The location of that heart felt moment, which would eventually lead to mr Darcy writing a letter to explain his side of the story and makes Lizzy change her mind, is also filmed in the gardens of Stourhead. At the Temple of Apollo to be precise.


The day started off rather slow as well, but I didn't plan to arrive in Stourhead until 10.30am anyway, I had plenty of time. Once I was there, I made sure I covered the gardens first, then the house and then have something to eat at the cafe. Whilst eating I had a read in the book I purchased at Chatsworth, Me and Mr Darcy. It is only appropriate to re read that book now x)

I was so lucky with the weather! The first two days of my trip were gorgeous followed by 3 days of clouds (but no rain!) and then today: blue sky and a beautiful watery sun. It was freezing cold though. One of the smaller lakes in the garden was actually frozen. It is officially winter people!


Around 4pm I left the cafe to drive to my next hotel a mere 45min drive away. Trying to find a Tesco in between, I arrived at the hotel at 5.30 pm so I've had plenty of time to eat, write and upload yesterday's post, watch some Youtube videos and then write this post :) It's been a very relaxing day.

Tomorrow is the last day of my trip though :( Really happy I don't have to go to work though. Silver lining hein :)

Anyway, here is the scene of which I've visited the film locations, albeit with better weather conditions and no marriage proposals.


Thanks for reading!
xo Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...