3 December 2016

Travel diary England day 4 + Blogmas day 2, 2016: "I hope you are not displeased with Pemberley?" - mr Darcy, Pride and Prejudice (1995)

**diclamer: I upload at the end of every day of what I did that day and in a lot of cases, when I've finished a post, I'm too tired to re read it, so be prepared for typos, grammatical and vocabulary errors**

"No, not at all" This answer couldn't be more appropriate to describe my experience to Lyme Park.

Halloooooo!!

Today might possible have been the opposite than yesterday. No (major) delays, no frustrations, no getting lost,... Just blisful. Lyme Park was impressive and I found the exact location of one awkward encounter between mr Darcy and Lizzy x)


Little unexpected detour
As I had switched around two days in my planning, I had to drive back in the direction I came from the day before. This allowed me to make a last minute stop in Longnor. This wasn't on my original planning, but as I hit the road by 9am I had plenty of time to get to Lyme Park, which opened at 11am.

A small town in the middle of the Peak District, tucked away in a tiny street called Church street is the Bull's head, the film location of Lambton in Pride and Prejudice 1995.


One of the inhabitants of the neighbouring houses came out of her front door to ask if I was from 'the papers' as she didn't want her house being photographed. After I explained that it is just me on holiday, going from film location to film location, she explained that is was indeed the correct street, but that the interior shots were not at the same location and were shot elsewhere. A fact I didn't know :)

After a little wander around town, I made my way to Lyme Park. At exactly 11am I parked my car on the National Trust car park. I was so pleased with myself.

"Then you approve of it." - mr Darcy, Pride and Prejudice (1995)
Once I got my entrance sticker to the house and gardens I started taking pictures like crazy. I had already spotted numerous film locations and if that was anything to go by, I was convinced I would find more in the garden with ease.


Before I went into the gardens however, I visited the house. Only a small part was open to the public, but decorated all in Christmas based on the novel 'Treasure on Earth' which was written by Phyllis Sandeman who actually grew up at Lyme Park. Beautiful interior, but not what I had expected. Then a sudden thought hit me. The interior shots of Pride and Prejudice 1995 weren't shot at Lyme Park! Only the exterior scenes. Oh I could've kicked myself. When I asked a National Trust volunteer, she confirmed that interior scenes where shot at Sudbury Hall near Derby. Proper facepalm moment. I knew this, yet I didn't think. I tried to see if I could fit Sudbury in this afternoon as it was on my way to my next inn, but the house is only open in the weekends. Ah well good reason to come back hein?

Anyway, I enjoyed walking around the gardens, take a million pictures, recognising the actual film locations, sitting on a bench enjoying the view on the house... A feeling of complete tranquillity, peace. I was off again into my own little bubble, my own little world.



So when the time came to continue my journey South, I was actually quite sad. I really enjoyed my visit to Lyme Park, even though I didn't walk for miles or spent hours exploring the house. I did get a feeling for peace and quiet. Something I hadn't experienced in a while, so it appears.

I was hoping to get that same feeling at Chatsworth yesterday, but with the many people around, the timed ticket to visit the house, the limited access to the garden and house, the fact that half the house was covered in stands so you couldn't see it properly, it was difficult to find a piece of quiet. I definitely want to go back during spring or summer, when winter maintance is over, but then even more visitors will show up, so not sure if I'll ever be able to experience that sense of tranquillity over there...



Around 3pm I made my way to Newbury, about 300km from Lyme Park. With a little stop to pick up dinner and sort out my mp3 player, a few delays and congestions on the way, I only arrived an hour later, which I had anticipated. Then an inpromptu phone call from a friend in Belgium and before I knew it, it was 9.30pm and I hadn't even started writing this post! So be aware that there will be alot of typos and other errors as I'm too tired to reread...

Before I go, I'll leave a little clip from Pride and Prejudice 1995. Ignore the part where mr Darcy jumps in the lake and skip forward to 1:21.


Thanks for reading!
xo Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...