20 December 2015

Blogmas day 19: 'exploring' City of London

Halloooooo!!

So so sooooooo sorry that it's a late one! It'll be the first and the last daily blog that will go live a day later. On the positive side, this means TWO blog posts to read today! ^^ It's a good thing that I like writing them ;)

Anyway, not to beat around the bush: 19th December was a nice and slightly sad day. The reason why it was slightly sad was because it's been exactly one week that I went to the Leavesden studios where I had that most fantastic day (blogmas day 12). The reason why it was a very nice day, was because I went to Spitalfield market.

I had never seen the market during Christmas periode. Sure enough I wasn't disappointed as I soon found the gigantic Christmas tree. Not as huge as the one at Covent Garden, but big enough for the market ^^


I had only been to the market when it was either the end of the day, early morning or a normal Saturday noon. Not Christmas Saturday noon. The amount of people that were there!oO A pick pocket's dream! So I didn't stay that very long, unfortunately.



Before I left, I did however, looked for the stall with the cutest gift boxes, Little IUDEA! How he describes his products: "Little IUDEA is a handmade gift-box mindfully crafted and designed to be a gift with a special meaning." When my sister came to visit me back in June, we discovered this stall and we were sold. We each bought three ^^ It was so difficult to find quotes that would make sense even years from now. They all looked very cute and all were very true, but would they be in say 5 years? Here are a few images from his facebook page:



If anyone is interested, here is the link to the facebook page of Little IUDEA. Also, make sure to write something in his little book. I opened it yesterday, at random, and came out on the page where I wrote something 6months ago. Really creapy x)




If anyone is in the neighbourhood of Liverpool Street station, Spitalfield is within walking distance. Open every day since 2005 but the stalls may vary each day.
 
Since I was in the neighbourhood I walked from Spitalfield Market to Leadenhall market. It seems to be something I'm always doing: Spitalfield Market, Leadenhal market, Monument, St Dunstan in the East, Tower of London, Tower Bridge. Might be because I normally don't really go that 'far' east in the city and then when I'm there, I take the opportunity to visit all. These locations are also within walking distance and you basically only have to walk South to the Thames x)

My favorite skyscraper: the Gherkin. Construction started in 2001 and finished in 2003. If you pay attention whilst watching Bridget Jones: the Egde of Reason or Love Actually, you can actually see the Gherkin, under construction, in the wide shots.







Apparently there are some art installations on exhibite in East London. The above is one of them. I have absolutely no idea who made it or why, but I thought it makes a cute picture x)

Instead of using the main road, I walked through the little streets towards the Tower. There are so many cute, small, winding streets and alleyways in East London. It is, after all, the eldest part of the city. That is how I bumped into this little chuch. Hidden between all those massive, modern buildings and skyscrapers.




It's St Helen's Bishopgate, parish church of William Shakespeare and has the nickname "Westminster Abbey of the City" as it holds more monuments than any other church, apart from Westminster Abbey. The largest surviving church in the City was built in the 12th Century and is one of the only few who survived the Great Fire of London in 1666 and the Blitz during World War II.

Unfortunately I couldn't go inside as there was a wedding going on, but I'm definitely going back another day. Must be an aweful place to get married... Yes, that is the Gherkin in the background.

Then, it is not Christmas until you've seen the Christmas tree at Leadenhall market! I've actually never seen the market open. I always go there during the weekends and because it is in the primary financial district, City of London, most shops, restaurants and markets are closed during the weekends. Not many tourists make there way up there.




And then, after passing Monument and St Dunstan in the East Church, both featured multiple times on this blog already, I arrived at the Tower of London. There is a freaking ice rink in front of it! Must be so cool to go ice skating there! Glad I didn't though, as the weather was very soft (16°C, in December!?) and there was a lot of water on the ice. One fall would guarantee getting completely soaked.







I did some people watching for I while, but it was actually to cold to sit still for long. So I made my way to Piccadilly as I had to stop by Waterstones. I had an idea of what I want to ask Santa, but I wasn't sure so I had a look at the actual copy before I went and let anyone know :) I also made it a point to sit in one of their very comfy chairs to read. Yes, I'm still reading Dragonfly in Amber.

By 4pm I was again and I did something I had planned for Sunday: tidying my room! So glad now that I did that yesterday :D Now I can have a relaxed Sunday ^^ Which I will all tell about this evening x)

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...