3 December 2015

Blogmas day 2: 'Fuck the past!', Nancy - Man Up (movie 'review')

Halloooo!!

So, I mentioned in yesterday's blog post that I work full time and I probably most likely won't be feeling like visiting places in London after a long day sitting at my desk. The occasionally night in is bount to happen and then I would probably write about a trip I made a couple weeks back or something like it. That was the plan for today. Off on a great start, ain't I. Blogmas day 2 and already feeling like a cozy night in. I had planned to upload a blog post about my trip to Winter Wonderland in Hyde park last Sunday, but before I uploaded that blog post I decided to watch a movie. Man Up to be precise. And, well, you'll have to wait a bit longer for the Winter Wonderland blog post.



It's not really your classic blogmas topic and it is not a Monday, but hey! It's blogmas and it is my damn freaking blog so I can do what I like.

Today I left work on time for once so I was home a bit earlier than I usually am. Unfortunately I had to run some errands (read: pay the gas and electricity meter and buy food) so I didn't have as long a night in as I had hoped. Anyway, instead of rewatching an episode of Green Wing, I thought it appropriate to watch Man Up. I bought this movie last week, it's been on my 'to watch list' for ages as it looked like such a funny movie. And it delivered :)

Man Up

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3064298/?ref_=ttqt_qt_tt
2015
Director: Ben Palmer
Cast: Simon Pegg, Lake Bell, Ken Scott, Harriet Walter,...
Lenght: 88min= 1h 22min
Genre: Rom com

Meet Nancy, 34, single and exhausted of her friends and family constantly trying to set her up with random guys. She's tired and has excepted that it probably will never happen for her. Until a guy, Jack, mistakes her for his 24year old blind date he's been waiting for in Waterloo station and Nancy... just goes with it. They end up having a chaotic first date of a life time which neither of them will probably ever forget.

Man Up is a rom com. There is no point in beating around the bush. Man Up is a rom com in all its rom com glory. They embrace the classic story points a rom com has and run with it.

The main thing that had me hooked after the first 15min was the in-cre-di-ble script. They make freaking movie references! It's very witty and sharp with a lot of theories and truths. Yet again I surprised myself with how well I was able to follow the dialogues. Eventhough I keep learning new words every week, it's still surprises me how well I understand the English language x)

Lake Bell (Nancy) and Simon Pegg (Jack) are movie gold. They have obviously chemistry. On screen that is. Their interaction. Their dialogues. It all feels so natural and genuine. More real than a Nicholas Sparks movie ;) Although, Nicholas Sparks is only romance, not comedy. You can't compare apples with pears, yadiyadiya.

It is a British movie, unlike the usual American film. It is set in my beloved London so it was wicked to actually see all of the locations and know where exactly in London they are x)

Like any other rom com will do, this movie leaves you with a smile on your face and a warm fuzy feeling. This particular movie leaves you also behind with a certain feeling of hope and optimism. Unlike a Nicholas Sparks movie for example, this storyline is more likely to happen than having your high school sweetheart being sent to prison for 8 years for unintentional murder. Don't get me wrong, Sparks covers topics who are a reality to many people too: interfering parents, cancer, wanker of an ex husband, war, etc. Just not in a silly playful kind of way. Mind you, it would be pretty weird to act like someone else's blind date, but I mean in terms of the actual date :)

The trailer :)



This is definitely a movie I'm going to suggest for the next movie night with my friends x)

This is it for day 2!

Thanks for reading!
xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...