6 December 2015

Blogmas day 5: "No more talk about our Lord's complexion at dinner, please", mrs Kehoe - Brooklyn

Halloooo!!

Saturday morning was off on a great start... Without electricity in the house. It absolutely baffles me as to where all that money went to. I only topped the meter up on Wednesday! I guess either someone watched a lot of television or they left the lights on. Again. Anyway, eventually someone bother to go out and put new money on the meter. I guess we're fine. For now...

The day started of layed back. I watched Man Up again whilst eating breakfast, followed by some YouTube videos. Then I had a bath (after I cleaned first of course) and then I had all the intention of tidying my room, but instead I ended up fumbling with the layout of my blog. I really wanted to add some falling snowflakes x) And whilst I was at it, I changed the header as well. It is hardly anything innovative, but it looks so festive! ^^

At 5.15pm I had agreed to meet my friend at Leicester square. I had a voucher to see the movie Brooklyn, 2 tickets for the price of 1. That was £4.5 a ticket. Bargain. And yes, I went to the cinema in the evening. Quite unusual for me, I know x) It was the only time they screened the movie we were both available x)

After the movie we went for a delicious bite at Pizza Express. I have to say, they really know how to make a pizza! And now I'm home, writing this blog post as soon as I can 'cause I'm really tired and I'd like to go to sleep^^

So here is my quick review on the film :)

Brooklyn

2015
Director: John Crowley
Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Julie Walters, Jim Broadbent, Domhnall Gleeson,...
Lenght: 112min= 1h 52min
Genre: Drama, romance

1951, Eilis is an Irish young girl who's struggling to find a future in Ireland. Her sister Rose makes an arrangement for her so she can go to America to start a new life. When first arriving in Brooklyn, Eilis struggles with the adjustments and has a lot of homesickness. When she starts to settle down, she falls in love with a young man. When life back home catches up on her, she decides to go back to Ireland to visit her mother and her old friends. Soon she'll have to decide whether she'll stay in her hometown or return to the big city across the pont.

I saw this trailer a while back and the main reason why it sparked my interest is because it is about a girl who moves a way from home to another country. Something I can really relate to. She has to make a decision whether to return to her home town or to stay in her new found life. A choice that I will have to make too, sooner or later. Well, she has to make a decision between two guys, whilst I mostelikely will have to make my mind up with no other to disappoint than myself.

The is an adaptation of the book by the same name written by Colm Tóibín. I haven't read the book, but is definitely on my TBR list now ^^

This pictures takes you to quite the extremes. You have some very heavy emotional scenes where you can hardly keep your eyes dry. And then you have hilariously funny scenes where it is impossible not to chuckle at the very least. If I had allowed myself to actually cry, I think I'd be an emotional reck when I left the theatre. Seriously though, this movie is proper funny. Julie Walters, who plays mr Kehoe and Tony's little brother have by far the best lines. They delivery them on point and in all seriousness which makes it even more funnier.

The clothes are beautiful and you can tell there is an evolution in the use of colours. But that might be me paying too much attention to details x)

It is not quite a spoiler, but I will tell you that I was kind of disappointed with the end. I had hoped she'd made a different choice. Which told me subconsiously something about my plans in the future...

As we went to see the movie, the theatre was quite packed. Not something I'm really used to and I usually don't appriciate it. This audience however was amazing. It was a laugh-out-loud-at-the-right-times-without-any-annoying-crips-bags-noices kind of crowd. With movies like these, you attrack more an audience who appreciate a good picture. It's not like Mockingjay or Kingsman or the Avengers for that matter, which are huge block busters and attrack the annoyingly loud people as well. This was a good experience.

As per usual, I've linked below the trailer, some clips and some interviews :)

Trailer



Interviews


Clips




Oh, here is the manditory picture of my ticket ^^




Thanks for reading day 5 :)

xo - Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...